The medical school and the hospital started with the seeds of the fertile mind of Dr. Nicanor Reyes, Sr. He was the first president and the founder of the Far Eastern University.
With the support of Don Jose Cojuangco, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, the vision was born as the Institute of Medicine in 1952. The late and most respected Dr. Lauro Panganiban worked as the first dean of the Institute. The hospital started to function for training and service in 1955. To accommodate the increasing demands for the diagnostic and therapeutic service areas, the Annex Building arose in 1957.
Since then, FEU-NRMF Hospital expanded into service and subspecialty areas geared for patient care, teaching and research.
In 1970, Far Eastern University, aware of the modern trends in medical education, through the leadership of Dr. Nicanor Reyes, Jr., university president, and upon the ratification by its stockholders, announced the conversion of the Institute of Medicine, The School of Medical Technology and the hospital into a non-stock, non-profit education foundation to become the FEU-Dr. NICANOR REYES SR. MEDICAL FOUNDATION, in honor of the founder and the first President of Far Eastern University.
In recent years, the physical plant could no longer provide space to accommodate new medical equipments, much less, room for expansion so directly needed to provide clinics for its doctors and parking space for patients and their physicians. The patient daily census was naturally affected. Renting a neighboring building and parking space which the Board tried to do was impossible in the area. The Board of Trustees on the initiative of the Chairman, Mrs. Josephine Cojuangco Reyes, decided to relocate the Medical Foundation, its school and hospital to a 15,000 sq. m. lot along a wide cemented avenue in Fairview, Quezon City where it now stand relatively free from noise and pollution, a healthy environment for education and medical care.
Transfer to the new site took several months of planning, with the new hospital opening its services on a gradual upscale. The Out Patient Department opened its services to its new community in September, 1999. The transfer to the new site was finished in October, 1999 with the hospital becoming fully operational in December, 1999 – opening its doors to a new community, and a new chapter in its history. Improvements have been implemented as a testimony to the Foundation’s desire to grow and to be better. Adequate parking space has been provided with a capacity for 250 vehicles. The medical library can now seat 400 students, and a computer room aptly called the Cyber Med houses 24 computers, further strengthening the institution’s dedication to research and information technology through cyberspace. The Diagnostic Center of the hospital bear equipment of premium quality – Gamma Camera for Nuclear Imaging, Magnetic Resonance Imaging Machine, LOGIQ 500 MD-Premium Digital Ultrasound, a Light Speed Computed Tomography Scan, Senographe DMR Mammography System and 2-Dimensional Echo with Doppler and Color Flow among others. Adjacent to the hospital is a 5000 sq. m. lot on which stands the Marian Medical Arts Building, owned by a group composed mostly of individuals from the alumni ranks. It houses private clinics of the medical staff and visiting physicians of the hospital, as well as a Radiation Oncology Center at its basement.
The Foundation, through this bold move, has just realized one of its dreams. But the will to be stronger and aim higher remains ablaze to realign the forces that pave way for an improved teaching and medical care facilities in keeping up with the progress of medical science, and provide better services to all its constituents.
The Department of Internal Medicine was able to host multiple post graduate courses, which aims to impart knowledge and give updates in the field of clinical practice in medicine. The last post graduate course was held last August 12 and 13 year 2010, at the Crowne Plaza Galleria Manila.
|Carlomagno Micu, MD||2005 – 2009|
|Armando Sta. Ana, MD||2004 – 2005|
|Fernando G. Ayuyao, MD||2001 – 2004|
|Trinidad E. Madrigal, MD||1995 – 2001|
|Helen C. Ong, MD||1986 – 1995|
|Romeo J. Garcia, MD||1978 – 1986|
|Antonio J.M. Sison, MD||May – August 1978|
|Antonio A. Lozano, MD||1975 – 1978|
|Jose R. Cruz, MD||1957 – 1975|
|Perpetuo D. Gutierrez, MD||1953 – 1957|